A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

My first read of Dickens is going wonderfully. I cant say that I'm surprised,

He puts any one who uttered "It was a dark and stormy night..." to shame:

There was a steaming mist in all the hollows, and it had roamed in its forlornness up the hill, like an evil spirit, seeking rest and finding none. A clammy and intensely cold mist, it made its slow way through the air in ripples that visibly followed and overspread one another, as the waves of an unwholesome sea might do.

He laces his Gothic bits with humor...

It was so like smith’s work, so much more like the top of a strongly spiked wall than a head of hair, that the best of players at leap-frog might have declined him, as the most dangerous man in the world to go over.

...and whimsy (this was my fav part of my first chunk of reading - the picture he creates here is such a cartoon to me, the watch and the fire. Love it.)

Very orderly and methodical he looked, with a hand on each knee, and a loud watch ticking a sonorous sermon under his flapped waistcoat, as though it pitted its gravity and longevity against the levity and evanescence of the brisk fire.

And there were many other things I was awed by..the introspection that's asked of the reader, the way the story is crafted towards suspense around a man who is, so far, only making shoes, the way Dickens has something to say about humanity, society, or history on nearly every page...

Business! This is a literary classic! It's supposed to be business! Enjoying greatly so far.

(Buddy Read with Bookstooge)