Insomnia - Stephen King

...because I finished! I'm partial to those peanut butter ones with the chocolate kisses.

"It's a long walk back to Eden, sweetheart, so don't sweat the small stuff..."

Though this took me a month to read, it didn't feel like a trek at all. In fact, I quite enjoyed the journey. It's just that I could not breezily read it as I do most things - I had to devote a couple of hours here and there to read it in sizeable chunks. I can't tell you how many times I would think I could stop somewhere, only to peek at the next chapter to see that they were STILL at the diner, or on the roof, or in the cockpit of a plane. King does not move you from one scene or narrative to another simply to tell you a story - he pushes you through hundreds of pages, pulling everything out of the moment that he can.

It's detailed. It's intense. The little bald doctors ramble.

But I never found it boring.

"Every thing I do I rush through so I can do something else..."

I can't really say much about the story that would do it justice. It was weird and brilliant. Sometimes more literary fictionish than horror (Ralph's grieving over the loss of his wife, and healing thereof), sometimes more horror than a character study (I'll not be looking at a red afghan the same way again). To say that there is atmospheric quality to the writing feel like a cop-out. There are so many layers working together that it's a little overwhelming to relay the overall experience.

"Done bun can't be undone..."

I loved all the pretty writing about puckish winds and long bladed scissors and the what color the feeling of loneliness is, but in the end what I liked most was that it was a story about a battle between perceived good and perceived evil. And though Insomnia wasn't left open ended per se, I'm very happy that The Gunslinger is next on my TBR for King.