The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier - Ree Drummond

Sometimes I have ideas that I think are brilliant but then I get lazy...or probably more accurately, distracted.

This post is realization of an idea I had a year ago. I thought to myself, "Self, since you like to cook, and you borrow an obscene amount of cookbooks from the library, you should review them by cooking and posting results!".

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately for you, ha!) the reality of this is that it's a lot of work. And I am allergic to work after 6pm.

But tonight as I was prepping dinner and perusing the BookLikes, I found myself cooking a favorite meal out of a fun cookbook and thought, "what they hey".

(For you new followers, most of my endeavors start with 'what the hey'. I'm real organized like that.)

Reasons I cook from this book:

1.) Lots of variety that's family friendly. From Chicken and Noodles to Sloppy Joes to Osso Bucco (which is probably the most 'exotic' thing within the pages).

2.) Ingredients that are commonly found in your pantry. No truffle oil, purple carrots, or saffron.

3.) Recipes that can feed a crowd, or can easily be scaled down.

4.) Food blog feel with the step-by-step pics

Without further ado -  Fried Chicken Tacos :

Okay, after this shot I remembered I wasn't a food blogger. And that I don't actually eat food like this. So then I took a 'real' picture.

That's better.

An action shot:

Laced with Chipolte Tabasco. Yum.

These are really, really good and pretty easy once you get the hang of the timing. You put the cheese in right after you fry them so it gets all melty and gooey. The chicken filling has a mild green chili flavor. We mow them down.

Now. Fried Chicken Tacos are a treat. We have a couple times a year, cause fried. But I've made loads from this book. Some of our other favorites:

Sloppy Joes
Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

Corn Chowder

Restaurant Style Salsa

Chicken Enchiladas

Apple Dumplings

Asian Hot Wings (which I actually make with drumsticks - and I bake 'em instead of frying - and I never have plum jelly. I use orange marmalade):

And...Summer Stir Fry. Use up the bumper crop of Zucchini, Corn and Tomatoes:

I also made the Italian Cream Cake and HATED it. I love Italian Cream Cake - coconut and pecans are a passion of mine, but THIS recipe calls for one cup of oil - which is WAY too much and you could taste it. Blech.

Overall, this is a really good beginner book for someone who isn't overly health conscious (she uses butter and oil, fries occasionally, and every breakfast recipe is heart attack worthy - except the iced coffee - okay, never mind, she puts sweetened condensed milk in it).