The October List - Jeffery Deaver

Thriller written in reverse? Whaaat? How?

At the end of the aisles in my local branch there's a listing of several recommended books/authors in every genre for those shelves. Jeffrey Deaver was listed under thriller, and I'd never read him. There were several copies of The October List, I picked it up, read the advertised gimmick of a book written in reverse and knew I had to try it.

Would it work?

The answer is yes. It really worked. And because I don't want to give anything away plot wise, that's about all I can say.

I have a piece of advice though, if you're planning on reading it, try to read it in one sitting or maybe a couple close sittings. I found that I needed everything to be fresh because it takes some brain power to process that each subsequent chapter moves the narrative backward while the actual chapter itself moves the narrative forward.

Make sense? No? Let me try to explain it this way...

Okay, I spent a lot of time rearranging my brain - thinking "Okay, what's happening now is going to LEAD TO what happened in the last chapter - so the ending is the beginning.

Still doesn't make sense? That's fine, I've confused myself now too. I'm good like that.

ANYWAY. It's much more satisfying to read it together. This would be the first time I've ever had to re-read the first chapter after finishing the book so that I could feel complete.

So, why 3.5 stars instead of 5? Well, that's a product of indecision. Ingenious enough to be a 5 star read, and maybe I should have just given it all the stars, but I actually had to push through a couple parts to continue.

The fast pacing is exactly right, but I wasn't sure I cared one iota about the characters. Which, in the end, made sense because the allure of this book is in the gimmick. And in the end, the gimmick hooked me.

Recommended.