The Highwayman - Kerrigan Byrne

That’s not what love does,” she whispered, lifting her head to press a kiss above his heart. “Of course it’s all-consuming, but love—real love—doesn’t destroy or smother. It’s the very opposite of a weakness. Love strengthens. It liberates. It molds itself to every fiber of your being and fortifies you where you may be broken. It is as necessary to the body and soul as food or water.

Well. I absolutely raced through this completely absorbed. A fated love - Farah and Dorian work together to restore and heal from the past, and in Dorian's case, a brutal one.

This book is high on angst, romance and steam. What I liked most about it is that there is enough personal history between the Dorian and Farah that the story mainly focused on their relationship. There are some charming side characters and a sub-plot or two, but we don't stray too far.

What I liked least about it was it's fairy tale nature. All problems are wrapped up neatly - a little too neatly for me.

[ Carlton's acceptance of Farah's marriage to Dorian had me gobsmacked. Carlton was bare-fist beating Dorian tied to a chair in his introduction scene. Eyes seething hatred. Then later proposes to Farah -- these are deep emotions, yes? I certainly didn't want the choice between Carlton and Dorian to be a difficult one for Farah, but when it comes to light, I expected consequences for Farah. Nope. He's effectively clucks her on the chin and wishes her well.

This was just one example of how everything was tied up so tidily.

(show spoiler)

And I found that Dorian's anti-hero status was proclaimed a little too often and a little too loudly.

"I am not the redeemable hero, Farah. I am not the boy who loved you. I am the villain."

Other than those minor squabbles, I really just fell into the story and am counting down the minutes to read the next.