Dukes Prefer Blondes - Loretta Chase
  A couple of things.

Firstly, I really struggled to finish this book. I was so bored that I finished 6 loads of laundry while reading. This means that I chose laundry over reading - 6 loads of hauling, washing, drying, folding - over reading. (Maybe you are one of those people that are always on top of laundry and it never morphs into a man-eating mountain, well, I'm happy for you. In my house, laundry is done when we are down to the mismatched socks with holes in the toes).

The problem is that there wasn't any great emotion, and the story never really peaked. I guess there was some drama,
The fake trial of Raven and the villain Fraeme and his hunt. I think both these arcs fizzled. Honestly, I totally missed why that Fraeme guy was so ticked off in the first place.
(show spoiler)
, but the only really interesting stuff happened early on.

I think the hang up here was Raven's enormous brain and his desire to separate his irrational (emotional) side with his rational thinking and doing. I think that this type of hero is intriguing, whether they are of above average intelligence or have some type of hang up from their beaten past. However, Raven's story isn't about self introspection and finding a happy balance between the 'rational' and 'irrational' parts of his being -- it's about the fact that he's surrounded by gaggles of idiots (read, mostly women and some men) UNTIL he runs into someone with a glimpse of a brain. Enter Lady Clara.

So, secondly, I had a hard time enjoying this because Raven's assertion that women are witless is repeated a little too often. I actually believed HE believed this rather than it just being said in jest or teasing affection a time or two.

At a couple of points in the book Lady Clara makes a good historical point that her generation of women were supposed to value ignorance in some things, have no opinions and stick to their specific role, when just a generation or two back, women had more freedom - certainly of expression at least. And Raven agrees with this. So why his big, rational brain can't come to the conclusion that women are only seen as simpletons because of the constrictions of society is anyone's best guess. I certainly didn't get it. Maybe I'm just proving his point. I'm too small-brained to understand his prejudice.

I wasn't really offended so I didn't hate it, I just never really connected with either Clara or Raven and didn't really fall into their love story.

This series has been up and down for me, with the opener and closer being stinkers but I really like those middling books - Scandal Wears Satin being a favorite. Loretta Chase, keeping me on my toes.

P. S. Dukes Prefer Blondes. FYI, this title makes zero sense to the book. I will never understand that. Plus, it's a spoiler because Raven isn't a Duke, nor in line for the title in the beginning of the book. So, THANKS AVON PUBLISHING!