Word: A Collection - E. Lorn, Edward Lorn

A collection of short stories from Edward Lorn, the guy who in the past has made me want to vom on more than one occasion.

Embarking on this little journey, I started where you should usually start a book, at the beginning. Burrito . Right out of the gate, E. was true to form and much gagging occurred. I might have a queasy stomach or something, but this guy really just evokes very visceral responses from me. I'll never forget the 'flappers' from years before. Never.

Next came Skinny , which was an interesting experience because I've never wanted someone to bleed out so badly. I think I'm going to straight to hell for that comment, but honesty being what it is and all, Kim was as shallow as the rest of the effers in her story, and the only decent character is the one she endeavors to hurt the most. I find it funny that she spends as much time judging others on their physicality as she does lamenting her own. So, this story made me want to puke too - we're on a roll!

I should pause here and say that I want to hurl in the most loving way possible. If a story makes you feel anything, it's done its job.

The next little story called, Come, starts on page 69.

I see what was done right there.

This story is about ejaculate. Oddly, it did not make me want to puke and that in itself is highly disturbing. There is some clever word play...and that's all I'm going to say about this...fiction.

Moving on to Margins , which is a close second for favorite of the collection, especially in terms of subject matter. It's a book lover's delight. That said, I had to walk away from it for a little while to return later. Being a follower of E.'s for a couple of years now, I've come to recognize his voice and his voice was very prevalent to me here -- and as the person's head I was supposed to be in was a single female and all I could 'hear' was E., this was an issue. It not only took me out of the story, it also became quite comical.

After a break of a week or two, I was able to expunge the imagery from my brain and return to finish. Margins is a solid story and a good emotional segue to Lounge , which did win the title for favorite of the collection.

There is something about throwing strangers together and discovering their narrative that really appeals to me. It's unpredictable. When you then put those characters into a scene with a huge sense of finality, their actions reveal their most essential selves. Lounge was edge of your seat people watching for the set that enjoys the why's of how we tick. I'm part of that set. I found the story a little bit heart breaking, a little bit hopeful, in just the right amount of words.

Something I noted after Margins and certainly after Lounge was the lack of language and...puke-y rambunctiousness that I associate with E. I knew, of course, that this collection was more of the literary bent, but it became evident that there was a method to his madness by winding down our experience to get a little sentimental. I don't have much to say about Glamis , our final story, other I felt it and knew it to be what it was - a fitting ending to a book of stories, a story about the storyteller.

A good collection and experience!