Wicked in Your Arms (Forgotten Princesses, #1) - Sophie Jordan

I just really wavered on how to rate this...

On one hand, I thought the plot arc of Wicked in your Arms is a good one. There is a concise story here with all the classical trappings - Hero meets heroine, Hero and Heroine fall in love, Heroine meets Villain, Villain is defeated. No real plot holes, characterization was good and their motivation is sound. When a story doesn't work for me or drags, the pacing or plotting of one of those things mentioned above is usually missing. It's a point in this books favor that this is not so, I liked the story overall.

Wicked in your Arms, hmmm, well the title is a head scratcher. Although I think many of these historical romance titles are nonsensical, I do somewhat rely on them to be a match for the tone of the story. I'm not sure how wicked it was for Grier to be in Sev's arms?

This is the good example where the problem between the H/hr is too contrived for my liking. Sev sets out to London to marry. He is going to bring home a future Queen (I've forgotten the name of his fictional kingdom-land), mostly because its his responsibility and he wants his grandfather's mind to be put at rest (there was a war and death and stuff...you'll read all about it). Grier is a 'new' heiress on the marriage mart looking for a title. Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that Sev needs money for his kingdom. You can see where this is going, Sev needs money and a woman...Grier has money and is a woman...

Sev immediately is attracted to Grier, he even contemplates her for his wife based on her monetary offerings, but ultimately dismisses her as a possibility based on the fact that she is 'common'. Insert eye roll here. Haven't I read this before 1.2 billion times?

You have to really work to make me believe in that 'common' argument anymore. Since Sev hales from an imaginary land outside of England, I found it even more difficult to understand what the problem is...she's not a Lady, so what? Can't you pass her off to all of your peasants as one!? Isn't the lure of 'true love' worth one little white lie!? Okay, so that's said a bit tongue-in-cheek BUT, if your grandfather truly loves you (which by all accounts given to us in the story, he does), than he'll truly be happy with a love match! What's the freaking deal? Couple that with the fact that Grier is most certainly a solution to his moola problem and you really have my head scratchin' as to why they can't just tie the knot already.

I will give Sophie Jordan this however...she plants one small kernel of doubt as to Grier's acceptability. To make Sev's grandfather truly contented, he needs to beget some heirs. Given Griers' advanced maternal age, that was one aspect of their match which I could understand to be a bit of a problem. Still...

My other issue is the problem I had with the overall writing style. There is all this ‘whirling around’ and ‘gasping’ (through hissed teeth, through clenched teeth, etc) and in general many repeated phrases and words. I am sure this is purely my reading preference, but that truly annoys me. Didn’t Grier just hiss two paragraphs ago, what’s with all the hissing!? I don’t think I generally hiss but with the regularity that Grier does it, it makes me thing I’m missing out on something.

So, why keep reading Sophie Jordan and The Forgotten Princesses in particular? For How to Lose a Bride in One Night. Tell me that book blurb doesn’t sound intriguing enough to read these others in preparation!