Whitney, My Love - Judith McNaught
My sister Gwen loves Judith McNaught so I picked this up under her recommendation. Though Judith wrote [b:A Kingdom of Dreams|129619|A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)|Judith McNaught|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1298447736s/129619.jpg|1601384] after [b:Whitney, My Love|350684|Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland Saga, #2)|Judith McNaught|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1173985891s/350684.jpg|340933], KOD occurs before WML and I like to read in chronological order, so I had read KoD first which was, by far, a better book than WML.In the middle of WML, I thought to myself "why did I not run out and read the next Judith McNaught novel as soon as I finished KoD? She's amazing! Her writing is inspired. Her characters are rich and deep! Her story telling is supurb!"It all came screaming back to me after that whole thing...with the note...in the drawer...you know what I'm talking about. I was like "What!?" because seriously, I like a little angst but enough is enough. Given Clayton's outrageous and cruel behavior in this book, I have a hard time understanding how Whitney could ever, ever trust him again, let alone set out on a path to help him realize his own error. And when she blithely accepts his 'promise' that he'll never quickly judge her again...well, I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Additionally, I could not wrap my head around why Clayton would behave so rashly. Does he not have a warning mechanism in his brain that says "Whoa buddy, lets think about our actions here!". It seems that he does not. Not to mention the truly heartbreaking parts with the exmistress and his betrothel to Vanessa Standfield. And with a character as spectacular as Whitney, I just had the hardest time with her HEA. She deserved an amazing (or at least convincingly reformed!)hero, and Clayton was certainly less than. Which brings me to another problem I had with this book....Nicolas DuVille and Paul Sevarin, two 'could-be' heros. Don't get too attached to them. They're dropped from the story line completely never to be mentioned again, even after we've grown affection for them.So, will I read another Judith McNaught book? Of course! She is a brillant story teller as I stated before, and this was her first book so it will have issues. I just won't be quite as invested the next time around since I've learned my lesson about Judith's writing. She's gotta get that second jab in there and make sure everyone gets good and bloody.