Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) - Ilona Andrews

Loved:
The story doesn't center around the romance. Those scenes are few and far between which makes them so much sweeter.

Much better characterization in this installment. Sometimes Curran is a jerk, sometimes Kate is reckless. A lot of the times both are unsure. All of the time they feel genuine.

Much better pacing and it seems the editing has improved. There's a lot of technical explaining in this book that should have been done in the first installment. In a book series, the first chapter is always a throw away...it's a recap of all the other important events, characters and world building. Many of those recaps in this book went a long way in answering some very important 'hows' and 'whys' the series creates.

Hated:

Nope. Loved it all.

Overall:
There seems to be a lot of 'act now, explain later' style of writing here...maybe even that the story/events/world/characters were not fully realized before embarking on this little storytelling journey. Maybe that wouldn't be so evident if I hadn't read them back to back, but there you go.
Of course I picked up the next book like a thirsty man downs a water bottle. (I'm feeling especially poetic today)