Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) - Ilona Andrews

The story doesn't center around the romance. Those scenes are few and far between which makes them so much sweeter.

Much better characterization in this installment. Sometimes Curran is a jerk, sometimes Kate is reckless. A lot of the times both are unsure. All of the time they feel genuine.

Much better pacing and it seems the editing has improved. There's a lot of technical explaining in this book that should have been done in the first installment. In a book series, the first chapter is always a throw's a recap of all the other important events, characters and world building. Many of those recaps in this book went a long way in answering some very important 'hows' and 'whys' the series creates.

Nope. Loved it all.

There seems to be a lot of 'act now, explain later' style of writing here...maybe even that the story/events/world/characters were not fully realized before embarking on this little storytelling journey. Maybe that wouldn't be so evident if I hadn't read them back to back, but there you go.
Of course I picked up the next book like a thirsty man downs a water bottle. (I'm feeling especially poetic today)