Sword of Darkness - Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kinley MacGregor

1.5 stars rounded up because I'm feeling gracious. Super formulaic...as if you took Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters series and changed a few things and voila - new series, different time, different place.

This book was really just okay for me. I would say a solid 60% of it I didn't even like. "Kinley MacGregor" relies on her mythology to really carry her books as opposed to action/characterization/plot. The problem there is that her mythology is not that exciting (King Arthur and the knights of the round table?) and a weak attempt at fantasy. There's very little lead up to anything climatic and the details are just sprinkled into the story randomly, not to mention nothing makes sense - why is Mordred in stasis? Why are there 12 power objects? Why is there more than one Merlin? And it goes on and on...

I personally had a problem with the demonic soul-sucking hero who does his *very first* (and I mean ever) redeemable thing in the last 100 pages, well after our heroine has made mulitple sacrafices. Why did Seren check in her "V" card to this douche again? Oh yeah, because it's part of the formula.

I would probably only read the next book in the series if it were the last book on earth. It would be an insult to all the other books on my to-read shelf to do otherwise.