Not Quite a Husband - Sherry Thomas
Listen, I don't know if I can write anything about this book, even if these silly things are for my own personal amusement, because what I really wanted to do after reading this book was go drown my sorrow in a good bottle of wine. Or maybe just take the faster route and drown it in a good bottle of vodka. And no, I don't want to drink myself under the table because the book was bad. I want to forget how achingly sad and sweet it was...it literally made me hurt, and CRY for cripe sakes. I just do not enjoy books that make me cry, that is I never intentionally read them if I know they're trying to evoke great rivulets of tears. So, I was surprised that not 12 pages in I was already holding my aching heart. This book really reads more like Historical Fiction (and who said Regency? It's totally late 1890's, Victorian) than a romance novel. There was very little true focus on characterization and more on the unveiling of deep seeded pain and a road to healing for two gloriously complex people. There is no humor. There's just tribulation and triumph, but only triumph in the fact that Bryony and Leo face their true feelings and reveal their secrets along the way. The writing was reminiscent of Diana Gabaldon...it's probably because Bryony is a surgeon and quite independent, and feels very similar to Claire. But also there is a very mature level of emotional introspection from both characters in both books, and very intelligent characters. So, overall. It was worth the read. I would even recommend it, but it wasn't may favorite. Somethings may just have hit a little too close to home or something, or maybe the HEA was too realistic and I don't want to be reminded that forgiveness is something you have to choose to do everyday - a little heady for my choice of escapism!I'm giving this 5 stars because really, if I have to think this much about it, it deserves it.