Foundation - Ann Aguirre

Over the weekend I visited a brand new book store that opened two blocks from my house.

This is both the best and the worst thing to ever happen to me. The store smelled great. The beautiful rows of new books was swoon worthy. The eclectic and friendly staff smiled and waved when I came in but let me browse without asking pesky questions, which instantly endeared them to me. How am I going to afford a book store within a 5 minute walking distance? HOW!?

As I was drooling over shelves of books, piling books into my arms and flipping books over to read their back covers, I ran across a YA book that I'd seen other places but had not yet read anything about --  Enclave by Ann Aguirre.

It looked interesting, but since I hadn't brought my kindle with me to check out ratings and see if friends had read this particular book, I put it down and thought to wait.

This morning, remembering that I wanted to check it out, I found that there's a prequel to Enclave called Foundation. Perfect!! I'll read that and go from there. Don't you love those little teaser books that gives you a feel for writing style and story before you dive in?

Except Foundation is a measly 18 pages.

The Kindle book for Foundation is .99. Wait, .99 for 18 pages?

WTF. Why the hell would I buy that?

Some other authors I love (Illona Andrews and Nalini Singh are examples) offer little tidbits like that as free content for readers, so for fun, I went to see if there was something like that on Ann's site. No luck.

This really freaking irritates me. To me, 18 pages is a lengthy prologue, not a short story that a reader should be asked to pay for in addition to the $15 pricetag on the hardcover or $7 price on a full length book.

Of course, my experience in buying 'novella's' lately has been a bad one and has probably left a bad tasted in my mouth. I was disappointed by both Eat Play Lust by Tawna Fenske and Baby, I'm Yours by Stephanie Bond. It's my own fault, they're really short stories rather than novellas and I probably should just remind myself in the future that those tick me for lack of development/plot/tension/originality.

Just...grrr. 18 pages. Really!? I feel better now that I've gotten that out.