There's a new thought in my household regarding The Great GoodReads Censorship Debacle...

In the past two days, I've felt a bit wrecked by GoodReads. I'm reminded of a song by a great artist, Miley Cyrus called Wrecking Ball. If you are unfamiliar with the song, I'll just give you a couple of lyrics that apply (ode to GR):

I put you high up in the sky
And now, you're not coming down
It slowly turned, you let me burn
And now, we're ashes on the ground

...

I came in like a wrecking ball
Yeah, I just closed my eyes and swung
Left me crashing in a blazing fall
All you ever did was wreck me

...

I never meant to start a war
I just wanted you to let me in
And instead of using force
I guess I should've let you win

Really, I could have picked any lyric from the song and, though I'm being a bit melodramatic, it would fit.

In rehashing TGGRCD over our dinner table, we've now recently decided that GR has done a Miley.

They've gone off the deep end, acting outlandish. They've done appalling and unattractive things.

Instead of using a great opportunity to open a dialogue with their top users, they've decided to alienate their original fan base in, what seems to be, a monumental blaze which will inevitable attract new fans to take the place of old.

New, different, fans who are okay with such shenanigans.

GR will later say that TGGRCD has all gone according to plan. They will sell millions of albums, err, gain thousands of users who will go on to post insightful, interesting and creative reviews.

The verdict is out on that last part though.

I am enjoying putting the pieces back together here. There is satisfaction in being a part of building something from the framework to greatness.