Storm Front - Jim Butcher Fool Moon - Jim Butcher Grave Peril - Jim Butcher

After three books, I've decided that Harry Dresden is the most annoying man.

A little insight into Harry:

If you jumped off a bridge because all of your friends were doing it, Harry Dresden would wrap himself in a comfy little cloak of self-blame and cry about you for at least half a page. He should of jumped with you! He could have talked you back from the bridge! He would have introduced you to some new friends!

If you didn't watch your drink at a bar and got roofied, Harry Dresden would be physically sick that he didn't do anything to keep you from drinking. He'd spend at least a page rehashing the woulda, coulda, coming to the conclusion that he shoulda personal tested every drink before you partook.

If you forced your way into a vampire party by stealing, lying, and forging an invitation, he would loathe himself for 40 pages, regretting that he didn't take your phone call about said party because he was salt-deep in exorcising a manical soul-eating demon ghost.  Why couldn't he have just MADE TIME for a coke break and a phone call?

Harry Dresden thinks everything is Harry Dresden's fault. Harry Dresden thinks he is responsible for everyone. Harry Dresden needs to get over himself.

But yet, what should be a complaint about his character, this infuriatingly annoying propensity to self-blame, actually becomes sort of the brilliant aspect. It's certainly what makes him unique, and what makes all his rage magic work in the terms of storytelling.

You see, if Harry is going to do something really cool (magically kick some ass), he has to get mad first. Like the hulk, sans all the green muscles. And nothing makes him more angry than seeing the people he cares about hurt, and thinking he could have done something to prevent it.

Commendable really. Especially since he's dating the most impulsive and stupid woman, Susan, who gets herself into trouble by having zero regard for her own safety. Especially since his complicated relationship with Special Investigations Chief, Karrin Murphy, is the only woman I've ever read about that is both difficult, angry and adorable all at the same time. Especially with Sir Knight of the Lord, Michael, who turns the other cheek, shames you for swearing and corrects your blasphemes enough times that you believe that he seriously is a God fearing man. The real deal, all you sinners. How can you not love a guy who really cares about a total conglamorate of the worlds most exasperating people?

Jim Butcher’s writing is addictive in a way that is baffling. While I don’t sit and read them in one sitting, I’m strangely rabid for the next installment after finishing. I’m now refreshing my library account every hour to see if Summer Knight is available. What the heck? It took me a week to finish Grave Peril, why am I so interested?

It must be his talent for strong endings. He slowly crafts Harry’s adventures in a way that keeps you turning the pages even if you aren’t on the edge of your seat. The end result for me is that each book has been very satisfying, a great mixture of cool paranormal elements, humor and mystery.

Of the three I read, Fool Moon has been the best, most well rounded, story. Storm Front is a first book that takes a while to get its groove on, and Grave Peril was saved by it's terrific ending but was the weakest of the three with the addition of a heavily cliche'd character.

Ahhh, Harry. In spite of it all, you do make it all worth while.

“Holy shit," I breathed. "Hellhounds."

"Harry," Michael said sternly. "You know I hate it when you swear."

"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”